Monday, October 25, 2010

My World Tuesday

This is the first flower of my bottle brush plant. It is a small plant just about 2 feet tall. I got it from the Council nursery last year for every year they give away 2 natives plants to every resident in the area.

Another one's coming...
Bottle brushes (Callistemon spp.) are among the hardiest of Australian native plants. They are long lived, require minimal maintenance and are almost impossible to kill. The flowers attract native birds, especially honey eaters, and reward the gardener with extraordinary amounts of colour. The original bottlebrushes available to gardeners were all bold red but flower colours now range from red to pink, mauve, cream and green. (Burke's Backyard>Fact Sheet)

Thank you to That's my World! Tuesday team, Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and Sylvia for this meme. Please click here to see more That's My World photos from all around the world.

10 comments:

indicaspecies said...

Beautiful shots of a lovely plant.

eileeninmd said...

It is a beautiful plant, eden! I love the color. I like that native plants are given to the residents, that is a great idea.

Unknown said...

very pretty! and it does look like a bottle brush.:p i think we grow it here, i remember seeing this flower before.

Rajesh said...

Very lovely flower.

Verna Luga said...

HI Eden, wow, ganda.... hope I have a house already so I can plant more..heheh..

Dropping by for My World Tuesday

Sylvia K said...

What a gorgeous, colorful flower! And it's a new one for me! Beautiful captures, Eden! Certainly adds wonderful color to your world! Have a wonderful week!

Sylvia

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Hi Eden -- that's a nice picture of a plant I see here (as a houseplant). Did not know it was native to your country. Thank you for the lovely picture and for the history. (The name is certainly appropriate, isn't it?)

Gwendolyn L said...

I can see how they got their name. This is an interesting flower. Great photo. Thanks for sharing.

MinnieRunner said...

Ang cute Eden! Pede pangdecor :)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

very pretty, are you holding it upright?